Joslyn Art Museum
2200 Dodge Street
Joslyn Art Museum’s Witherspoon Concert Hall is an intimate setting for the Symphony Joslyn series, which features the chamber orchestra. This series pairs music and artwork from Joslyn’s collections, with preconcert discussions in the museum’s galleries.
When the extraordinary Art Deco Joslyn Memorial (the name Joslyn Art Museum was adopted in 1987) opened its doors in 1931, it was hailed not only as an important addition to the city of Omaha, but to American modern architecture as well. In 1938 it was listed among the 100 finest buildings in America. Some 38 marbles from around the world are used in the interior design; construction took three years and cost almost $3 million.
The Walter & Suzanne Scott Pavilion, a 58,000-square-foot addition built in 1994, was designed by renowned British architect Norman Foster, Lord Norman Foster of Thames Bank, as his first U.S. commission. His firm worked in affiliation with Omaha-based HDR, Inc., an architectural and engineering firm, and Kiewit Construction Company. The $15.95 million project included renovation of the original 1931 building.